*BestOnTests.com is reader-supported. When you buy through Amazon and affiliated sites links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission (at no extra cost to you). Learn more.
Here’s our best fishing pole for 5-year-old choice:
Looking for the best fishing pole for 5-year-old that is on offer? If that is the case, look no further than the Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning fishing reel and rod combo.
This fishing rod is an excellent choice, and it is the perfect combination of price, quality, performance, and value for money.
Though you will be shelling a little extra money for it, this junior fishing pole is absolutely worth it.
Are you in search of the best fishing pole for 5-year-old? If you happen to be searching for a fishing rod for 5-year-old children, then you are in the right place.
One of the best ways in which a parent can spend time with a child is by going out fishing. Fishing brings with multiple benefits, as such children should be taught fishing from a young age.
The first requirement to start fishing is to find a good quality junior fishing pole for your child. Finding a good quality fishing rod for 5-year-old and other children is thus very important.
However, the thought of searching for the best toddler fishing pole can sound intimidating. To help you with that, I have rounded a few of the best fishing pole for 5-year-old children, which are all beginner friendly.
Best fishing rods for 5-year-old
To help find the best fishing pole for five-year-old, I tested 3 of the most popular children’s fishing rod and reels available in the market today, along with my son.
Before purchasing these 3 fishing rods and reels for testing, I performed thorough research on all of these products.
There are some factors which I took into consideration while testing these five junior fishing poles along with my child and they are:
- The Build: The first focus was laid on its build quality, and the fishing rod with the better build quality was selected.
- The Price: Pricing also played an important role which selecting the fishing rods. The prices of the selected fishing rods are neither too low nor too high but hit the sweet spot.
- The fun factor: For this, I observed my child using the junior fishing pole. And based on how much fun my child was having with it, I made the choice.
1. Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning fishing reel and rod combo
The first fishing rod for 5-year-old in the list is the Ugly Stik GX2 fishing rod. This is one of the best rods for 5-year-olds that is available and its details are highlighted below.
- It is manufactured by Shakespeare which is a reputed brand known for its fishing rods and boasts of robust build quality.
- The GX2 comes with a two piece rod construction, made using highly durable graphite and fiberglass. Its spools are made from anodized aluminum for added durability and this fishing rod will no doubt last several years.
- The rod further features 3 ball bearings and a one way clutch with an anti-reverse bearing for smoother operation and instant hooking.
- The Ugly Stik GX2 is offered in six sizes and they are 4’8″, 5′, 6′, 6’6″, and 7′, and the weight offered are ultra light, light, medium and medium heavy respectively.
- The model that we reviewed was the 4’8″ UltraLight model, and it proved itself to be quite a capable junior fishing Pole. It was very light and operating it was super easy and fun. The presence of EVA grips further added to its value and my child had a blast using the Ugly Stik GX2 Fishing rod.
- Big selection of different rod length
- Comes with all gear needed to start fishing
- Great quality
- Foam handle at the end is a bit bulkier
- Reel mount is made from thin plastic, so it might break. Use it carefully.
2. Plussino Telescopic Toddler fishing rod
The Plussino toddler fishing rod is one of the most popular fishing rods for young children. The main highlight of this fishing rod is its affordable price point and value for money it carries.
- This junior fishing rod is made by Plussino, and it comes with a very simple and kid-friendly design. This rod comes with a collapsible telescopic design made of plastic which is lightweight, but durable at the same time.
- It also comes with a ton of accessories and these include a spincast fishing reel, line and fishing tackle, a fishing lure set. The fishing lure tackle includes crankbaits, float bobbers, sinkers, stoppers, Jig heads, Red and Green soft lures, swivels and fishing beads.
- This toddler fishing rod comes in two sizes i.e. 115 cm and 150 cm and is offered in seven colors and weighs in at just 76 grams. It also comes with an EPA handle which fits perfectly in a child’s small hands.
- All these features make it a superb beginner fishing rod and the presence of a reel adds further value to it. As such the Plussino fishing kit is a perfect children’s fishing rod and reel combo.
- Affordable price
- 5.2:1 gear ratio ree
- A lot of fishing gear and tackle included
- The quality is so-so
- Pure instructions
3. B‘n’M TL Rigged Bamboo Pole
The third rod that makes into the list of the best fishing pole for 5-year-old is the B‘n’M Rigged Bamboo Pole. This junior fishing pole is extremely budget-friendly and is also one of the easiest fishing poles to use for kids.
- This junior fishing rode is manufactured by B‘n’M and is made using high-quality bamboo. The bamboo construction makes it ultra light, and also adds strength and flexibility to the fishing pole.
- Despite boasting a very low price, it comes included with all the necessary accessories further increasing its value. The accessories include a fishing line, hooks and floats making it fishing ready upon purchase.
- Coming to its dimensions, this junior fishing pole has a total length of twelve feet and weighs eight ounces. The pole comes in three pieces and assembling these pieces is a breeze.
- There a lot of things to like about the B‘n’M TL Rigged bamboo pole and the one thing which I and my child liked the most was its simplicity and ease of use. Operating it was very easy and detaching it to decrease its length was also super simple.
- Very low price
- Includes line, hook, and float
- Includes line, hook, and float
- Had problem pulling them apart
What to consider when buying children’s fishing rods and reels
When it comes to children’s fishing rods and reels there are some things to consider before purchasing it. Below is a list of the things which should be kept in mind.
- The Size: The size of children’s fishing rods and reels varies greatly. As such based on your child’s needs, one should make an informed purchase. If the rod is too long and big, it can become heavy and hard to handle.
- The Reel: The Reel is a major component of the fishing rod and as such, it should be carefully chosen. Some reels are easy while others are complicated to operate. As such, it is necessary to find a reel that can easily be operated by your child.
- The Price: Some rods and reels are very affordable while others are on the expensive side. Hence, while buying rods and reels take into account how long you wish to use it for, and whether your child will fish regularly or only occasionally.
Fishing together with your child will no doubt bring a lot of benefits to both of you. As such, this activity is something which should be done on a regular basis without fail.
However, without using the proper gear you might not be able to have a great time. As such, it is important to invest in good fishing gear.
The best fishing pole for 5-year-old which have mentioned above will definitely help you and children to have a great fishing and bonding experience.
If you have any questions about poles reviewed above, you can leave them in the comment section.
Leave a Reply