*BestOnTests.com is reader-supported. When you buy through Amazon and affiliated sites links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission (at no extra cost to you). Learn more.
Redington Behemoth is the most powerful and the best fly reel for an affordable price. Not only does the Redington Behemoth look like a premium fly reel it also functions like one.
The powerful drag system makes it perfect for fighting powerful fish both in fresh and saltwater. The carbon fiber drag is easy to handle due to the oversized adjustment dial. This beast is both powerful and easy to handle.
Fly fishing can cost you if you don’t know what you are looking for. Here is an article to help you get your hands on the best fly reel under 200 dollars.
Fly fishing can be expensive, and by the time you go fishing you would have spent more than $2000 just buying the rod, reel, waders, fly and other such pieces of equipment.
So that you get the best out of your investment a little research can do a lot to boost your fishing experience.
One thing that many rookies don’t take into consideration is the reel. Even with a high end priced rod, you need a good enough reel to compliment it.
A better reel with an excellent drag system will make the difference in your fishing especially when you tackle bigger fish. There are many reels from which you can choose.
Getting one under a budget that provides the best features can be a tough one. Here is a collection of the best budget fly reel.
Best Fly Reel For Under 200 Dollars
If you are ready to spend $ 500 or more just getting a reel, then that is fine. Keep in mind however that you can save $300 or so by investing on these under $200 fly reels.
There will always be a quality difference, but when we compare the various features, you will get more or less the same result.
After examining multiple items at the same rate, I would suggest these three for your next fishing trip.
Redington Behemoth Fly Reel: Editor’s Choice
It is perhaps the most powerful reel under its price range. Redington’s BEHEMOTH comes with a strong drag system.
The adjustable carbon fiber drag combined with its one of a kind die-cast construction adds strength, durability, and reliability.
This model comes with a lifetime warranty; yet another one of its feature assuring the customers its durability. No wonder it is so highly demanded among fly fishers.
Though you are not given much option to choose when it comes to its looks, you are still getting a neat and powerful tool that would improve your chances of catching a monster fish.
- The drag system is powerful, and it also possesses high line capacity making it ideal for reeling in powerful fish.
- It has a lifetime warranty.
- It is a versatile reel and you can use it in any type of fishing both in fresh and saltwater.
- The materials used are less likely to be corroded.
- Reel tolerance is not up to the mark and could cause issues of the line sneaking out
- There is not much to go by when we talk about the color options.
Waterworks-Lamson Liquid: Best Saltwater Fly Reel
It is a high-quality reel and is the best saltwater fly reel under 200 dollars. It is comparatively lighter than other reels.
The developers have constructed it in such a way that it offers high rigidity even with its lightweight body thanks to its pressure-cast aluminum technology.
It is built with Computer Numerical Control (CNC)-machined drag system components. It also handles seawater and is not easily corroded.
You can get extra spools on this model depending on the size of the reel that you. It also comes with a customizable drag canister, with a colorful Lamson sleeve which you can buy separately.
Considering the fact that it is a mid-range priced reel, the Lamson Liquid does come with promising specs. It is not only lightweight but sturdy; a highly versatile reel that is built to last.
- It is a unit built to last for years thanks to its sealed drag system.
- It is customizable.
- There is a meager rate of corrosion from seawater as long as you rinse it afterward.
- The technology and components used to build the drag system are the same as Lamson’s high-end reels.
- It does not have a sophisticated appearance and looks very basic and has a modest look to it.
- It is lightweight and depending on personal preferences; some might want it to be a little heavier.
Redington Zero: Best Budget Fly Reel
When it comes to lightweight and affordability Redington’s Zero flywheel is a class apart. It is the best budget fly reel under 200 dollars. Though it is not built for heavy-duty fishing like going after larger saltwater species, it is handy and durable.
Thanks to its die-cast construction it has a super-lightweight design. It comes with a durable spring-loaded clicker drag system, which is highly capable of fishing smaller games.
Redington Zero Fly Reel may be less aggressive compared to other high-end products, but it is still a tough reel. Considering its price Zero is a neat model.
For a price of under $100, it has hardly any competitors. If you are planning to go after fish which does not require a powerful drag, I would recommend this model.
- It is affordable – the best you can get under a pocket-friendly budget.
- It is a go-to reel for trout fishing
- You can easily convert it to the right or left-hand retrieve
- Super lightweight and durable.
- It does not have an adjustable drag system.
- Availability of sizing option is limited
What To Look For When Buying One?
- Get a reel based on the species of fish you are going after or the type of fishing you would be doing. If you are going after light river trout or grayling fishing, all you would need is a simple click & pawl check. Saltwater fishing would require your reel to be corrosion-free, and it should come with a disc drag system for bigger fish.
- The size of the reel should be enough to hold the capacity of the fly line. It should also ideally balance the rod so that it does not feel heavy.
- Before you order your reel check and see if it is meant for a left-hander or right-handed angler, most right-hander anglers prefer to wind the reel with their left hand and control the rod with their right. There are no hard and fast rules. Most reels are easily convertible and you can quickly change it from LHW to RHW and vice versa.
- Try and invest a little extra on your fly reels. Most reels that come $30 are usually cheaply made inside. Sometimes the drag is uneven and most of the time breaks down quickly.
Though there are numerous accounts that you must take into consideration, the tips mentioned above can come in handy. It will help you get a decent enough reel.
There are hundreds of fly reels. By now you have an idea about the best fly reel under 200 dollars, but at the end of the day, it is your personal preference that would matter.
I hope this article made your decision easier. If you still have any questions, leave them in the comment section.
Leave a Reply